Friday, September 24, 2010

Osamuburugogi


A few days ago, I tried my hand at Korean cooking for the first time. Once a month, we (Rakuen Christ Church) offer a Korean cooking class as an outreach into the community. There's been a good turnout the two months that I've been here and this time, instead of just sitting around watching everyone, I decided to try it out. One of the best things about the cooking was that I got to wear an apron - they make me feel so domestic.


Well here it is. Osamaburugogi. Essentially, its pork and squid with Korean hot powder and paste and a variety of vegetables all fried up nicely. The squid in this dish was surprisingly tasty. I'm not usually a fan of squid due to its rubbery consistency; chewing something for 5 minutes before I can swallow it is asking a lot for something that I really like, much less something that is just so so. But for some reason, the squid in this dish had a firm tofu consistency...yummy. Posted by Picasa
This is my new friend Song. She is the daughter of one of the church members here at Rakuen. She just moved here from Korea. There are so few young people here that any new person around my age is always more than welcome. I'm so thankful for her already; she's kind and seems eager to get to know people here. In this shot, she's helping me with my Osamuburugogi because my chopsticks were getting too hot.

3 comments: