Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Paradise Lost

On my way to visit Dan and Amy, I'm standing on the platform waiting to catch the next train. A man comes into view six or seven paces to my left. Middle aged, average looking, sneakers, blue jeans, black t-shirt, black shoulder bag. What I notice before his apparel, however, is that he's mumbling to himself in an unusually animated way - his eyes opening and then closing abruptly. We've all seen people mumbling or talking to themselves in public, whether they're suffering from a deranged mind or merely rehearsing information for their anatomy test, who can really know. But I got the impression that this guy was having a conversation with someone. The impression was so strong that I looked to the other side of the tracks to see if there was someone on the other platform whom he was talking to, but there was no one. Then I see the open beer can in his hand and his behavior makes a little more sense, although not less disturbing. He continues to mumble (couldn't hear anything because my ear plugs were in) and turns casually to look at something behind him. I catch a glimpse of the decal on the back of his shirt and the irony is striking. "Paradise Lost" is written in white letters under the image of a distorted face (anger? fear? laughter?). This man tragically externally exemplifies the depravity and confusion of the human mind post-Eden. Paradise has indeed been lost, but thanks to the sacrifice of one man, it is not beyond our reach.

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
and are justified freely by his grace through the
redemption that came by Christ Jesus."
Romans 3:23-24
It is my prayer that this man may have an encounter with the only One who can permanently restore that which was lost in the paradise of Eden.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks be to God for bringing redemption to his chosen ones.

    ReplyDelete